Introduction And Background
As weird as it may sound to you and although in your imagination it must have something to do with blood tests and machines and scans that can sense and measure the fat in your body, you can actually measure your body fat right at home with the help of a friend. It is not a dream and certainly not a scam and has been devised by scientists and there is a confirmation that you can easily measure body fat through this method and can actually get estimates which are quite close the actual amount present in the body. Read on further to know how to do it and then you and your friend can measure your body fat right at home!
Know This To Measure Body Fat
Remember one thing before doing the measuring. You are not in it to get accurate measurements but rather consistent measurements to let you know what the real deal are happening in the body. Donâ€™t be scared if the measurements are a little here or there, all you need to do really is be consistent in your measurements and the rest is fine. Just remember that before doing anything else!
What Do You Require?
You require several things in order to measure your body fat. Here they are and you will need all of them for it to work.
- You need an instrument called body fat measuring calipers. They are usually available online on websites that offer them and are perhaps not that easily available in regular shops. Certain bodybuilding websites definitely sell the calipers. However, this is used in the three side method which is not commonly used in households but if one can perform it then nothing like it!
- You need a helper, any friend or family member who can help you in measurements. It is necessary that a woman has a helper but the men can do without as well even though it is recommended for them too.
- A measuring tape is an essentiality as well but this is something present in every household.
- A felt-tip pen. But it is only recommended, not essential.
- You need to write down the measurements and do some calculations so either you need a computer for that or you can go the old fashioned way and use a pen and paper for it.
- There are profiles offering tracking and jotting down of results but that again is up to you.
There is a method devised called a three side method which is not difficult at all and is used by most trainers but you have to have calipers for that. But if you donâ€™t, here is the usual method applied. The first thing though that you have to do is pinch the body a little so that the fat tissueis separated from the body a little, since the adipose tissue is accumulated on the surface near the skin most places. Once that has happened, you can begin the measurements of these body parts with an inch tape yourself or you can ask a friend to measure it for you:
- Measure the waist.
- Measure the hips.
- Measure the forearms.
- Measure the wrist.
- Measure your weight as well.
After that, you need not do the calculation yourself as there are many websites where you just have to feed the data that you have collected and they calculate your body fat index for you. Different websites ask for different body part measurements and some of them are based solely on your calculations and are not subjected to gender or height. To find the best calculator of all, go with the one that asks for all details, even extensive ones. The method used with calipers is a little complicated and it is different for men and women both as it concentrates on where fat is most stored as men are more likely to store fat around their abdominal area while women store it in their gluteal region or upper back. Nonetheless, these methods are reliable and if you are dieting, they can easily make you see whether you are losing body fat or not as the measurements will definitely change if you have lost weight.
Measuring body fat can help you a lot as well and motivate you further if there are differences in measurements when you are dieting. Once you see that something is working, you are more bound to do it, no? If you remain focused on your diet, then for certain your body will reduce and you will be able to not only sense it while looking in the mirror but also know for sure with mathematical evidence if you have made the right calculations and measured it correctly. So what are you waiting for, get right down to it!